Facts on Family Caregiving
- Someone caring for a parent has been doing so for an average of 20 hours a week for four years.
- One in three adult caregivers is also raising a child under the age of 18.
- One in three adult caregivers is helping their family member get dressed or go to the bathroom.
- Nearly two-thirds of adult caregivers take time off during the workday, while 17 percent take a formal leave of absence and 10 percent take early retirement.
- About 70 percent of adult caregivers get help from family members, friends or neighbors.
- About 40 percent rely on help from paid caregivers.
- Someone caring for a spouse spends more than 30 hours a week directly caring for their loved one and is less likely to get help from relatives or friends.
The people they send to your home are so warm and caring. You can see they really love their work. They give you peace of mind as they are so dedicated to your loved one and that means a lot to me, they take a lot of pressure off of you and we all need that.