Questions to Ask When Hiring a Caregiver
If you decide on in-home care, there are several questions you should ask to ensure that your loved one will stay safe, healthy and happy:
- What happens if you or your caregiver becomes ill or are otherwise unavailable? What are the alternate arrangements?
- Do you pay your federal and state taxes, Social Security (FICA) and unemployment insurance, so that our family is not legally responsible?
- Can you verify that you and your caregivers are legally able to work in the United States?
- If you or your caregiver are injured at a client's residence, who is responsible? (Many homeowner's insurance policies exclude injuries to "domestic employees.")
- Do you perform criminal background checks and state abuse registry checks? Do you check caregivers' references from prior work history?
- Are you bonded or insured in case one of your clients is injured or there's a theft?
- How do you document that your services were indeed completed?
The people they send to your home are so warm and caring. You can see they really love their work. They give you peace of mind as they are so dedicated to your loved one and that means a lot to me, they take a lot of pressure off of you and we all need that.