Steps to a Healthier Family
As you notice changes in a loved one, there are a few things that you can do to help them and ultimately your family as a whole:
- Download a copy of our Home Safety Checklist. By going through these steps, you can significantly reduce any harm that may come to a family member as you decide on your approach to care.
- Download a copy of our Needs Assessment Worksheet. It will help you define your situation and the kinds of services your family may need.
- Arrange for a family meeting to discuss your care options. Be sure to include the wishes of the loved one who needs care in the discussion. Use your answers from the Needs Assessment Worksheet as a guide.
- If there's a noticeable decline in thinking and reasoning in a loved one, schedule a doctor's appointment and ask the physician to test for cognitive function.
- Have everyone in your family (including spouses) check with their employers to see if their companies offer any caregiver benefits.
- Approximately 25 percent of employers offer basic senior care provisions to employees, including referrals to caregivers or legal services. Almost one in 10 companies offer substantially more to employees, including financial assistance with in-home care and extended leaves for emergencies.
- If you decide on a path of care, ask the agency for a Custom Care Plan specifically based on your loved one's physical needs, cognitive needs and goals.
My family has experienced a traumatic injury. I was attempting to do it all by myself and finally reached the point of being overwhelmed. I contacted Right at Home and the Owner of he company was at my house that day! All the little and big things I could not find the time to do are now taken care of. Now I have the assurance that I can leave my home and know that I have an experienced, licensed professional taking care of my family. Always on time, honest, professional, trustworthy, hard working, articulate and caring. I was pleasently surprised to have Right at Home's Director of Quality Assurance drop by for a visit to make sure I was getting what I needed and in such a manner that was safe and of the highest standard. I feel now that Right at Home is an extension of my family. I trust them. I need them. They are here for me.