Diabetes develops when your body becomes resistant to the effects of insulin or when your pancreas produces some, but not enough, insulin to maintain a normal glucose level. Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas that regulates the absorption of sugar into your cells.
For those with diabetes, leading a healthy and active life depends on good diabetes management. Good management reduces the risk of complications, such as heart and circulatory disease, which individuals with diabetes are three times more likely to develop.
Right at Home’s caregivers can work with you to develop a specially geared home health care program that focuses on diabetes management. These services can include:
- Education on how daily activities affect blood glucose levels
- Appropriate food and meal planning
- Exercise and activity suggestions
- Meal Preparation
- Grocery Shopping
Diabetes Information and Resources
- Almost 25 million people in the U.S. and U.K. live with diabetes. This is more than 7 percent of the respective populations.
- More than 1.5 million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed every year.
- Almost 25 percent of people over the age of 65 have diabetes.
- More than 90 percent of diabetics have type 2 diabetes.
- For a great resource on diabetes health, visit the Living with Diabetes section at the American Diabetes Association.
Cannot say enough wonderful things about Right at Home. Right at Home was originally hired just to help with medications for my 83 year old father as he was alone in his home in Massachusetts while his four daughters live in Florida. As anyone that has an elderly loved one that lives out of state knows..it's hard to worry from afar. It was a great relief to know that Right at Home was checking on him and keeping in touch with us in Florida. The nurse was trustworthy, caring, kind and just fantastic in every way. Right at Home spent much time on the phone with us to help choose and get him into a rehab facility after he was sick last year, which I always felt was above and beyond. Just recently I was up in Massachusetts with my father because he had developed an infection. My dad refused to go to the hospital and the nurse from Right at Home stayed with us for an extra 4 hours or so until we could finally get the help my father desperately needed at the hospital. Again above and beyond. The Right at Home nurse was like an angel during this stressful time. Five stars is not enough to rate how much Right at Home helped us with our dad.