Approach to the Geriatric Patient - Nursing
Audience: All healthcare professionals.
As medicine makes rapid advances in both acute and preventive healthcare, one finds that the aging population is growing at a commensurate pace. It may not be surprising that the fastest cohort of the population, the geriatric population (65 and older), utilizes the greatest portion of health care services. In contrast, however, a striking minority (approximately 5%) of older people live in chronic health facilities; rather, most live in their own home or apartment and continue to function as a vital part of society. Thus it is critical among the health care community and others, to be acutely aware of the unique considerations in caring for the geriatric patient, given the impact that this special cohort is exerting on the health care system, both in inpatient and ambulatory settings.
Upon completion of this module, the learner will be able to:
- discuss the structural changes that affect the elderly;
- recognize functional changes that affect the elderly;
- describe the common diseases that affect the elderly;
- discuss the clinical approach to the elderly patient and special situations that may be dangerous; and,
- discuss special considerations in medical and surgical therapy.
The Philips Healthcare Learning Center is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 15050, for 1.75 Contact Hours.
This program has been approved by the Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider 50-11991) for 1.5 Contact Hours. CE Broker Course Tracking No. 20-275663
Note: Approved provider of continuing education for LCSW licensure requirements in California.
Note: This program is not accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association due to their policies.
Note: As of 7/31/10 nursing CE's will not be available for nurses licensed in DE, RI, and UT.
This course is accessible on the Philips Lifeline Learning Center website at http://Lifeline.theonlinelearningcenter.com.
If you DO NOT currently have an account on the Philips Lifeline Learning Center please register:
- During step 3 of registration, please enter the following CEU account ID: check233266
- Continue with registration and click Finish.
- Follow the Steps below under "Course Access" to obtain the course.
If you already have an account on the Philips Lifeline Learning Center you will need to update your account in order to take this course. Follow the steps below:
- Log into the learning center
- Select "My Account"
- Select "My profile"
- Go to Step 3: CEU Accounts
- Enter CEU Account ID: check233266
- Click Finish to save the changes.
- Then follow the steps below under "Course Access" to obtain the course.
I am a RN and Certified Case Manager and have worked with Right at Home on various cases. They have and are providing various levels of care/companionship to clients of mine who suffer from a wide variety of ailments including but not limited to Dementia, Traumatic Brain Injury and general disability. Words cannot describe how much I have appreciated their responsiveness and receptiveness to client needs. They have proved efficient in caring for both my geriatric and younger disabled clients. I would recommend this agency to anyone in need of in home care or even additional care for those residing in facilities.
Jennifer - Case Manager