Fall-Related Brain Injury in Older Adults: Focus on Prevention
It is well known that falls and fall-related injuries are a major problem in older adults. For many years a primary focus has been on the prevention and treatment of hip fractures related to falls. In recent years, however, the increasing incidence of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and the subsequent morbidity and mortality secondary to these falls have been noted. With the aging of the population, traumatic brain injuries related to falls have been named “the silent epidemic” by the Center for Disease Control. This presentation will focus on how health care professionals can contribute to addressing this problem through increasing public awareness of the issue, improving their ability to identify and manage individuals with signs and symptoms of TBI, and through use of evidence-based strategies to reduce fall risks in older adults.
- Discuss the prevalence and incidence of traumatic brain injury (TBI) secondary to falls in older adults
- Describe the impact of fall-related TBIs on quality of life, morbidity, and mortality
- Describe age-related changes that increase risk for falls/TBI in older adults
- Describe the types of traumatic brain injuries that may occur secondary to a fall
- Identify common fall related risk factors
- Describe methods of identifying signs/symptoms related to TBI
- Discuss evidence-based interventions in managing older adults following TBI
This course is accessible on the Philps Lifeline Learning Center website at http://Lifeline.theonlinelearningcenter.com.
The course has also been approved by the following associations:
- Tennessee Physical Therapy Association (TPTA)
- The New Mexico Physical Therapy Association (NMAPTA)
- The Florida Board of Nursing
Note: Approved provider of continuing education for LCSW licensure requirements in California.
Note: This program is not accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association due to their policies.
Note: As of 7/31/10 Nursing CE's will not be available for nurses licensed in DE, RI, and UT.
Never has a name been so true as "Right at Home". The service makes a person feel so special and comfortable. Our caregiver is our special angel. This is one of the best companies I have ever seen. They excel at every aspect of their service. Right at home symbolizes caring compassion understanding and full service. Truly they are amazing!