Resources for Seniors, Adults with Disabilities, and Caregivers in Athens & Surrounding Areas
- ACCA - Athens Community Council on Aging
- University of GA Well Being
- Aging Resource List
- Kaiser Permanente HMO health plan, offers general information about senior health, as well as services and resources for caring for others.
- National Institutes of Health provides health and wellness information for older adults
- MetLife provides a guide, The Essentials: Receiving Care at Home
- The National Council on Aging Benefits CheckUp assesses senior’s needs and financial situations and lists government programs, tax breaks and other services
- Medicare.gov is the official website for information about provider choices
- Sensors for Seniors
- Caregiver Support Group Caring.com
- Family Caregiver Alliance
Alzheimer’s Support in Athens Area
- Alzheimer’s Association and Dementia Caregiver Center offers information on care options, help with finding service providers, and a 24-hour hotline for caregivers.
- Georgia Alzheimer’s Association
- Caregiver Action Network offers a video resource center where family caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients can get advice from fellow caregivers.
Caregiver Resources for Athens Area Caregivers
- Athens Community Council on Aging provides Geriatric Care Management where a case manager will conduct an in-home visit and create a Care Plan for the care of your loved one.
- The Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving was established by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia in 1987 and housed at Georgia Southwestern State University in honor of alumna and former First Lady Rosalynn Carter. The center provides resources to caregivers throughout the state of Georgia.
- The National Alliance for Caregiving is a non-profit coalition of national organizations focusing on issues of family caregiving. The site contains publications and resources for caregivers, including the Family Care Resource Connection, where you can find reviews and ratings on over 1,000 books, videos, web sites, and other materials on caregiving.
- Teepa Snow’s “Positive Approach to Care
- Family Caregiver Alliance’s National Center on Caregiving offers a Q&A service, tip sheets, and information about support groups.
- National Caregivers Library provides a large source of information and tools for caregivers and seniors.
- Long-Term Care Ombudsmen work on behalf of elderly long term care facility residents to investigate and resolve concerns or problems with long-term care facilities. Ombudsmen are available for every county in Georgia.
- Strength for Caring is a caregiver resource center from Johnson & Johnson.
Caregiver Support Groups for Athens Area Caregivers
- St. Mary’s Highland Hills, 1st Thursday of each month, 6 – 7 p.m.
- Arbor Terrace, 2nd Tuesday 3:00-4:00, 170 Marilyn Farmer Way Athens, GA 30606 Charles Russell 706-353-0400
- Athens Community Council on Aging, 3rd Tuesday of each month, at 12 Noon.
- For a list of support groups in other counties in Georgia, please see the listing at the Georgia Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Additional In Home Care Resources
Fall Prevention Guide
Preventing falls is preventing hospital readmission and helps seniors stay in their homes longer. Let's keep your loved one on their feet! Find out more about fall prevention with this free brochure!
Adult Caregiving Guide
Only Right at Home can provide the Right Care. We tailor our care to your unique situation through a Custom Care Plan. Download your free Adult Caregiving Guide today.
Nearly 90 percent of older adults want to remain in their homes in later life. To help, Right at Home designed the Aging-in-Place Guide, a practical resource for every aging adult and every family.