Virtual Dementia Tour
Caring for someone with dementia requires a special kind of person; someone who is empathetic, patient, and understanding. But, how can a person who cares for someone with dementia be empathetic when they have never experienced its reality?
Right at Home wants to help those serving seniors better understand a person’s daily struggles with dementia by offering theVirtual Dementia Tour®.
The Virtual Dementia Tour® was developed by P.K. Beville, M.S., founder of Second Wind Dreams. Second Wind Dreams is committed to changing the perception of aging through the development of the Virtual Dementia Tour® (VDT) Series.
The tour is a scientifically proven method designed to build sensitivity and awareness in individuals caring for those with dementia.
A Stimulation Tool
Learning to create a positive environment for those with dementia can only come from attempting to walk in their shoes. The tour is a dementia simulation tool created for anyone seeking to understand the physical and mental challenges of those with dementia. During the tour, cognitively sound participants are transported into the world of dementia and experience the challenges faced by people affected by dementia while in a familiar environment. This valuable experience is designed to help caregivers identify with and understand patient’s or loved one’s behaviors and needs.
The experience offers hope to caregivers and provides tips and tools necessary to create an environment that supports the disease and lessons confusion. This experience has been proven to improve communication and care and sheds light on the experiences that your patients or loved ones may be experiencing each and every day.
Kathleen Malloy, Right at Home Community Liaison and Outreach Manager, is also available to perform this training for community groups and professionals. Call 267-568-2638 for more information or to schedule a training.
Dementia Care Program
The unique needs of dementia care require specialized training and knowledge. Trained caregivers of Right at Home provide families with individualized, compassionate care for their loved ones.
A Registered Nurse conducts monthly dementia trainings in our office. The curriculum is designed to empower our caregivers and staff members to provide effective and personalized care.
Dementia Patients May Experience / Have:
- Emotional and behavioral changes
- Personality changes
- Physical and sensory challenges
- Impaired problem solving skills
Our caregivers learn the types of challenges that Dementia patients may go through:
- Understand the emotional and behavioral variations of the client
- Promote independence of the client whenever possible
- Listen effectively to verbal and non-verbal communication
- Overcome care plan obstacles through redirection
- Engage the client in activities without overstimulating him/her
- Apply problem solving techniques to daily challenges
- Reduce the client’s anxiety by maintaining familiar routines
- Assist with peer socialization
- Encourage the client to participate in appropriate physical activities
- Respond positively to difficult care situations
- Preserve the individuality and dignity of the client
- Provide a sense of security, familiarity, and structure
A Q&A session is held at the end of each training. Caregivers will receive an information packet that contains dementia care tips. They are encouraged to bring the packet along to each assignment. Caregivers will also be awarded a certificate that proves their completion of this program and the Virtual Dementia Tour® training.