As a result of Dr. Hellums acumen in geriatric issues, she was asked by the local paper to share insights regarding how to have a conversation with an aging driver.
Below, are a few of the insights that she shared.
- Advanced chronological age is not reason alone to stop driving.
- A physician visit can determine whether or not someone is fit to drive.
- Some factors a physician considers include, vision and hearing, decreased neurological and cognitive abilities, the muscular-skeleton system, and current medication regimen.
- Loved ones should have an ongoing conversation with their senior that evolves over time, and not one that starts with, “You need to stop driving!”
- Show concern and compassion and begin the discussion about alternative means of transportation.