Caring for Our Veterans
As a Veteran, you made sacrifices for our country. You were there for us when we needed you, now let us be there for you. Many Veterans are unaware of the Veteran Aid & Attendance benefit. This benefit provides qualifying Veterans, and surviving spouses, the ability to receive up to $25,440 per year, to pay for home care.
Veterans Aid & Attendance 2018 Schedule of Benefits
Couple - $2,169/month
Veteran - $1,830/month
Surviving Spouse - $1,176/month
Healthy Veteran with Sick Spouse - $1,404/month
To help you determine if you are eligible for the Veterans Aid & Attendance benefit, we are providing the following four points of eligibility as an overview for qualifying for the benefit.
- A veteran or surviving spouse of a veteran who served 90 consecutive days of active duty with one day during a period of war (the veteran did not have to serve in combat or overseas). Recognized periods are as follows:
- Must have non-service related medical conditions, which require assistance with activities of daily living.
- Asset Ceiling Test
- Upper limit is $80,000 not counting a home or car
- There is a sliding scale based on age. The older the applicant is the fewer assets they are allowed to have
- There is no “look back” period. This may change depending on Congressional action
- Medical expense to income ratio – this is not based on your level of income, rather a ratio of medical expenses to income. Under the Veterans Aid & Attendance benefit, home care services qualify for medical expenses
|Event||Start Date||End Date|
|World War II||December 7, 1941||December 31, 1946|
|Korean Conflict||June 27, 1950||January 31, 1955|
|Vietnam Era||August 5, 1964||May 7, 1975|
|Vietnam Era "In Country"||February 28, 1961||August 5, 1964|
|Gulf War||August 2, 1990||TBD|
Paying for Home Care
There are a number of resources in Chicagoland to help qualifying veterans navigate the sign-up process for the Veterans Aid & Attendance benefit.
To learn more about receiving home care using your Veterans Aid & Attendance benefit, please contact us by calling (847) 392-1200 or send us a message.