When restrictions of aging, disability, chronic illness, or cognitive difficulty make it challenging for individuals to care fully for themselves at home, a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) can assist. CNAs have attended a 120-hour training program comprised of 80 classroom and laboratory hours and 40 clinical externship hours. They are regulated by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
Role of a Certified Nursing Assistant
CNAs provide everything from companionship to basic health assistance, including:
- Bathing and dressing
- Light housekeeping (laundry, vacuuming, etc.)
- Medication monitoring
- Grocery shopping
- Meal planning and preparation
- Transportation to doctor’s offices, appointments, activities, and social programs
- Companionship visits
- Organization of schedules and appointments
- Physical exercise and at-home therapy exercises
- Check and record temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate, respiration rate, height, weight, and food and fluid intake and output
- Assist with braces or artificial limbs
- Assist in activities of daily living
- Assist with bowel and bladder functions
- Assist with lifting, positioning, and transferring into and out of beds, chairs, bathtubs, wheelchairs, lifts, etc.?
- Provide incontinence care
- Turn and re-position client?
- Report all changes in condition to office and nursing staff?
CNAs can also help with specific in-home care needs related to:
- Alzheimer’s and Other Related Dementia
- Hypertension/Stroke Recovery
- Heart Disease
- Cancer Recovery
- Hospice/Palliative Support
- Post-surgery Care
- Diabetes Care
Why a CNA
You may be worried about a loved one recovering after surgery or who is weak and forgetful. Or, who needs a helping hand from time to time. Whatever the wellbeing of your adult or senior loved one—whether a dear parent or beloved family friend—Right at Home has our caregivers ready with the right people. At the right time, day or night. Right at Home CNAs offer personalized care that is professionally supervised so your loved one feels happy, safe and independent right at home--and you feel peace of mind.