Working under the supervison of experienced Care Managers and seasoned Personal Care Aides, the Personal Care Assistant Trainee provides for the personal needs and comfort of patients in their homes. This position is meant to give fresh Nurse Assistants and/or Home Care Aides the coaching, mentorship and applied experience. After one year of on the job experience and supervision, the job holder is considered fully qualified as a Personal Care Assistant.
- Performs personal care activities that assist the patient with activities of daily living which include (but are not limited to):
- Personal hygiene (assisting to bathroom or in using bedpan, bathing, care of mouth, skin and hair)
- Prepares meals and snacks according to instructions.
- Performs patient-specific activities that are taught by a nurse. These could include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting with the change of ostomy appliances
- Reinforcement of dressings
- Assisting with prescribed range of motion exercises
- Measuring and preparing special diets
- Taking vital signs
- Application of an external catheter
- Performs homemaking activities which include (but are not limited to):vacuuming, dusting, sweeping or mopping floors, doing dishes, changing bed linens, doing laundry and cleaning bathrooms.
- High school graduate or G.E.D certificate preferred.
- Successful completion of a state-approved Nurse Aide or Home Care Aide course.
- Some work experience preferred in an areas other than as a Nurse Aide or Home Care Aide.
- Current CPR certificate is recommended.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English as needed for the job.
- Possess a valid driver's license and have use of an insured automobile or access to adequate transportation for the job.
- This position receives mentorship and coaching to become proficient as a skilled Personal Care Aide.