Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a common disease in elderly patients. COPD is chronic inflammatory lung disease that affects the airways and air sacs in the lungs. It has been reported to be the major cause of respiratory failure in the elderly. COPD includes bronchitis, emphysema, or a combination of the two.
What is COPD?
COPD is commonly found in those who have long-term exposure to air pollution, chemical fumes, or cigarette smoke. As the disease progresses, symptoms of COPD tend to get worse and cause permanent damage to the lungs. The main conditions of COPD are emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Emphysema is a lung disease that damages the walls in the air sacs of the lungs. Chronic bronchitis is caused by inflammation in the lining of the bronchial tubes that carry air to and from your lungs.
Symptoms of COPD
Symptoms of COPD can often go unseen until irreversible damage to lungs have been done. For cigarette smokers and ex-smokers, the damages are worse and often life-threatening.
- Shortness of breath or frequent breathlessness, often called dyspnea. Dyspnea is often described as shortness of breath or tightness in the chest.
- Frequent coughing that produces mucus or sputum that is clear, white, yellow, or greenish
- Blueness of the lips or fingernails called cyanosis due to a sign of low oxygen level in your blood
- Wheezing or a whistling while breathing
Benefits of COPD Home Care
If you have COPD, it’s important to get ongoing medical and non-medical care. Although there is no cure for COPD, there are treatment options available to manage the disease. For non-medical help, our top-rated and highly professional caregivers can help with:
- Providing medication reminders and assistance
- Organizing items in easy-to-reach places
- Transportation to and from doctor’s appointments, medication pick-ups, grocery shopping, and other errand services.
- Reduced hospital visits
- Relieve symptoms and prevent the disease from progressing through encouraging pulmonary rehabilitation.
Call (561) 440-2273 TODAY and find out how Right at Home Care Agency can assist you.
View all our In-Home Care Services in Palm Beach, Fl.