Continuing Education Units Webinar
|Title||Understanding the Older LGBT Community and Its Unique Needs and Barriers|
|Date||Wednesday, August 18, 2021|
|Time||10:00 AM Pacific (1:00 PM Eastern)|
|Credit||Includes 1 complimentary CE credit*|
Whether you know it or not, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults are your clients or residents. Learn the unique issues facing LGBT older adults, and hear how these issues affect their willingness to seek out services. This session will outline LGBT aging, describe the diversity of sexual orientations and gender identities, present findings from a recent needs assessment, and identify actions you can take to make your practice more LGBT culturally competent.
Participants in this web seminar will be able to:
- Explain biological sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
- Trace the historical experiences that shape LGBT older adults’ lives
- Describe the unique barriers faced by LGBT older adults
- Identify opportunities to support welcoming services for LGBT older adults
About the Presenter:
Paul R. Blom
Paul R. Blom, owner and CEO of Right at Home Twin Cities, is a locally and nationally known advocate for older adults. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Luther College and completed coursework toward his Masters of Divinity at Wartburg Theological Seminary. Paul served as Interim CEO of the National Parkinson’s Foundation from 2015 to 2017. Since 2001, Paul and his husband, Bob, have owned and operated Right at Home – In-Home Care & Assistance for seniors in the Twin Cities.
* This webinar is designed for professionals and family caregivers. Eligible professionals can claim ONE FREE CE credit within 60 days of the live webinar by attending the live event or watching the recorded program. Your credit will be emailed within 30 days of survey submission.