The Benefits of Aging: 6 Reasons These Truly Are the Golden Years
Aches and pains. Memory loss. Frailty and weakness. If this is how you would describe growing older, we challenge you to think again! Though society portrays aging as a condition we need to fight off or at least prolong, there are actually many benefits of aging that we’ve learned from the seniors we serve – and our own experiences, too! Here are just a few to help you form a more positive mindset towards aging.
- Balanced hormones. The reduced levels of estrogen, testosterone, and adrenaline in older adults equates to a calmer, more levelheaded demeanor. It means more thoughtful, rational decision-making abilities, less drama, and fewer runaway emotions.
- More time to spend on meaningful, enjoyable activities. Raising a family and climbing the corporate ladder leave little time to engage in what you enjoy doing most. Growing older is freeing, with fewer restrictions and responsibilities, allowing you to begin a new chapter in life according to your personal preferences. An in-home caregiver can also free up time for you, by assisting with the tasks that are less enjoyable – housecleaning, laundry, meals, etc.
- Grandkids! It’s hard to think of anything more rewarding than seeing your children have children of their own, and stepping into the incredibly joyful role of a grandparent. Grandparenting relieves stress, boosts socialization, encourages physical activity, and can even lead to a longer lifespan.
- A healthier self-image. Reflecting on all that you have accomplished, triumphed over, and endured throughout the years is a great way to instill a sense of pride and self-esteem. Seniors have also had years to develop their own personality and attitude toward life, making it easier for them to truly like themselves.
- No more peer pressure. We spend so much time in our younger years comparing ourselves to others, striving to stay on top of fashion trends and making sure we “fit in.” It’s liberating to let go of these unrealistic pressures and simply be who we want to be.
- So much wisdom. You can’t live more than 60 years without learning a lot of lessons along the way. Seniors’ lives are rich with fascinating stories and sage advice to share with the next generations.
If you’re still struggling to adopt a more positive attitude towards aging, there are steps you can take to help, such as:
- Exercising – both physically and mentally. Strive for at least 30 minutes of physical activity and movement each day. Strengthen your brain with mentally-stimulating games and puzzles, and through lifelong learning.
- Additional healthy lifestyle choices – eating a healthy diet, getting plenty of sleep, quitting smoking, limiting alcohol consumption, and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Setting goals – no matter how small – and celebrating your achievements.
- Staying social – visiting as much as possible with friends, extended family, neighbors, and others in your community.
- Trying these positive emotion exercises.
- Reducing stress in your life and practicing self-care.
Our senior years offer us the start of a new chapter that we can choose to write however we want. Focusing on the positives of growing older and incorporating the steps above can make this chapter your best one yet!
Right at Home, the leading provider of home care in Sarasota and in all of Sarasota County, provides professionally certified senior care services. Contact us at (941) 929-1966 for a free in-home consultation to discuss your care needs or concerns.